KLG-R (PROCEDURE) - RELATIONS WITH LAW ENFORCEMENT AUTHORITIES ADMINISTRATIVE PROCEDURE
The following procedures are intended to guide the involvement of law enforcement authorities in the schools:
Law enforcement official may enter school premises:
- In the event of an emergency endangering student or staff safety;
- At the request of the Superintendent/school administrators when they believe there is a substantial threat to the safety, health or welfare of the schools, students and/or staff;
- When there is a warrant to arrest a student, which cannot be executed outside of school hours. School administrators are not obligated to make students or school facilities available to law enforcement for non-school-related investigations/ arrest;
- In exigent circumstances as authorized by law.
School Administrators shall attempt to contact the student's parents/guardians prior to allowing law enforcement authorities to interrogate, search, or arrest a student at school, except when there are reasonable grounds to believe that a health or safety emergency requires the interrogation, search, or arrest to take place without prior notice.
Law enforcement authorities are responsible for ensuring that a student is informed of the student’s rights prior to an interrogation, search, or arrest conducted by law enforcement authorities.
A student may be removed from school by law enforcement authorities when there is a court order, an arrest warrant, or when a warrantless arrest is authorized by law. School administrators shall attempt to notify the student's parents/guardians as soon as possible of the student's removal from school.
School administrators may release student information to law enforcement authorities only as allowed by the Family Education Rights and Privacy Act.
- JIH- Questioning and Searches of Students and Students’ Locker/Storage Facilities
- JRA- Student Education Records and Information
- December 11, 2012
- November 18, 2014
- November 17, 2015