BBAA - School board Powers and Responsibilities
The School Board shall have general charge of all the public schools of the Cape Elizabeth School Department and shall exercise such other responsibilities as specifically provided by law.
The Board shall concern itself primarily with broad questions of policy rather than with administrative details. The application of policies is an administrative task to be performed by the Superintendent and their staff, who shall be held responsible for the effective administration and supervision of the entire school system.
The Board, functioning within the framework of laws, court decisions, attorney general's opinions, and similar mandates from the state and national levels of government, and recognizing the authority of the state, fulfills its mission as the governing body of a political subdivision by acting as follows in the execution of its duties:
- Enacts policy;
- Selects, employs and evaluates the Superintendent;
- Provides for the planning, expansion, improvement, financing, construction and maintenance of the physical plant of the school system;
- Prescribes the minimum standards needed for the efficient operation and improvement of the school system;
- Requires the establishment and maintenance of records, accounts, archives, management methods, and procedures incidental to the conduct of school business;
- Approves the budget, financial reports, audits, major expenditures, payment of obligations, and policies whereby the administration may formulate procedures, regulations, and other guides for the orderly accomplishment of business;
- Estimates the funds necessary from taxes for the operation, support, maintenance and improvement of the school system;
- Adopts courses of study;
- Provides staff and instructional aids;
- Evaluates the educational program to determine the effectiveness with which the schools are achieving the educational purposes of the school system;
- Provides for the dissemination of information relating to the schools necessary for creating a well informed public; and
- Approves/disapproves personnel nominations from the Superintendent and determines (where appropriate via collective bargaining) compensation and working conditions of all staff.
- 20-A MRSA § 1001
- 20-A MRSA § 1476 (RSU)
- January 8, 2019