BDD - BOARD-SUPERINTENDENT RELATIONSHIP
The Board believes that exercising its legislative function through policymaking is its most important responsibility. The Board is also responsible for setting the direction for the school district and evaluating progress towards goals.
The management of the schools is the function of the Superintendent. The Board holds the Superintendent responsible for complying with all applicable laws, rules and regulations; for administering Board policies and decisions; for operation of the schools and educational program; for the system of supervision and evaluation of staff; and for keeping the Board informed about school operations, problems and opportunities. The Board recognizes that the Superintendent may delegate certain responsibilities to other personnel. Such delegation does not relieve the Superintendent of the final responsibility for actions taken.
The Board, collectively and as individual members, shall:
- Recognize the Superintendent as the educational leader of the school district;
- Provide direction for the Superintendent through written policies, objectives and goals for the school district;
- Give the Superintendent full administrative authority and support for properly discharging their professional duties, while holding them responsible for acceptable results;
- Hold all Board meetings in the presence of the Superintendent, except as otherwise permitted by law or when the Superintendent voluntarily excuses themself at the request of the Board;
- Refer complaints, criticisms, and requests to the Superintendent or other appropriate personnel and discuss them at Board meetings only after administrative solutions have been exhausted; and
- Evaluate the Superintendent and provide appropriate opportunities for the Superintendent to share their perceptions regarding the working relationship between the Board and Superintendent.
- 1 MRSA § 401 et seq.
- 20-A MRSA ¶¶ 1001 et seq.; 1051 et seq.; 13201; 13301
- BBAA – School Board Powers and Responsibilities
- BCA – Board Member Code of Ethics
- CB – School Superintendent
- CB-R – Superintendent Job Description
- CBI – Evaluation of the Superintendent
- March 12, 2013