EEBB - USE OF PRIVATE VEHICLES FOR SCHOOL BUSINESS
The Cape Elizabeth School Board recognizes the need for some school employees to use their privately owned motor vehicles for school purposes either regularly or occasionally.
Privately owned vehicles may be used for student transportation when, in the opinion of the building principal and with the written approval of the Superintendent, this is the most practical or only possible method of transportation.
To safeguard Cape Elizabeth School Department employees and students in matters of liability, the following policy will be observed:
- Prior to use of a private vehicle for school purposes, the employee must have the written permission of the Superintendent/designee.
This permission may be in the form of a standing permit for employees who use their own vehicles regularly for school purposes. The permit will state the particular purpose and indicate whether it includes transportation of students.
For all special trips involving students, e.g., field trips, a special permit must be obtained in advance for the specific trip.
- No student may be sent on school errands with his/her own vehicle, an employee-owned vehicle, or a school-owned vehicle.
- Field trip and other off-campus school-sponsored activity transportation will be by school bus whenever practicable.
The Superintendent may approve the use of private vehicles in situations in which the small number of students or budget or schedule restrictions make bus use prohibitive or impractical.
- For student trips made in private vehicles, the owner must be properly licensed and carry a minimum liability insurance of $100,000/$300,000; minimum property damage of $50,000; and minimum medical coverage of $5,000. Proof of current license and insurance will be required.
- A Maine driving record check will be conducted on all prospective drivers. In the interest of safety, a prospective driver may be disqualified based on a review of information contained in the record.
- The vehicle must have a current registration and display a current inspection sticker.
The vehicle must have sufficient seat belts for the driver and each of the other persons being transported.
- No employee may transport students for school purposes without prior authorization by the Superintendent/designee.
- No student will be allowed to transport other students on field trips or for other school-sponsored activities without prior approval from the principal and notice to parents.
- Parents will be informed whenever private vehicles will be used to transport their child(ren) for a field trip or other school purpose and will be required to sign a permission form in advance.
PARENT AND VOLUNTEER-OWNED VEHICLES
The above provisions apply to the use of private vehicles when the driver is a parent or other approved volunteer transporting students to or from school-sponsored events or activities or using a private vehicle for other school purposes.
The school will inform parent drivers and other approved volunteers that in the event of an accident, the parent or approved volunteer’s liability insurance will be the primary coverage.
The school will not be responsible for any accident or injury arising from a parent’s transportation of his/her own child(ren) to or from a school sponsored event or activity. Students are expected to travel by school-provided transportation when available.
DELEGATION OF RESPONSIBILITY
The Superintendent/designee will be responsible for developing administrative procedures, including those for accident reporting, and application, permit, permission and/or other forms, to implement this policy.
February 8, 2022