BEA - SCHOOL BOARD USE OF ELECTRONIC MAIL
Use of electronic mail (e-mail) by school board members should conform to the same standards of judgment, propriety and ethics as other forms of school board-related communication. Board members shall comply with the following guidelines when using e-mail in the conduct of board responsibilities:
- The School Board shall not use e-mail as a substitute for deliberations at Board meetings, for other communications or business properly confined to Board meetings, or in any way to defeat the purposes of the Freedom of Access Act.
- Board members should be aware that e-mail and e-mail attachments received or prepared for use in board business or containing information relating to board business are likely to be regarded as public records which may be inspected and copied by any person upon request, unless otherwise made confidential by law.
- Board members shall avoid reference to confidential information about employees, students or other matters in e-mail communications because of the risk of improper disclosure. Board members should comply with the same standards as school employees with regard to confidential information.
- 1 MRSA § 401 et seq.
- 20-A MRSA §§ 6001-6002
- 20 USC § 1232g
- GBJ - Personnel Records and Files
- JRA - Student Educational Records
- March 8, 2005
- April 9, 2013